Teachers are an important part of our society. They not only teach students how to read, write, and calculate math problems, but they do so much more. Unfortunately though, teachers are not getting paid enough for the work they do. As an advocate of why teachers must get paid more, here are some reasons why teachers need to be paid more.
1. They work outside of the classroom: In most other professions, employees do not have to take their work home. Teachers, on the other hand, have to take their work home. They have to spend hours coming up with lesson plans that will engage students. They also have to spend time grading their student’s assignments, tests, and quizzes and because they do not have time out of their day to spend doing this, they have to take their work home. If you take into account the average teacher’s salary and the hours they spend at work, they could probably make more money being an hourly wage employee.
2. They do more than teach: Teachers do more than just teach students how to read, write, and do math problems. They teach students how to be good adults. They teach students how to be good adults by teaching them to persevere when things do not go as planned. When a student gets a bad grade on a test, they may realize what they did not do well on and do better on the next test. They also teach students about what is right or wrong. They teach students what is right or wrong by teaching students not to cheat on test, assignments, or quizzes, as cheating devalues the learning process.
3. They make an impact: Teaching is a profession that makes an impact. Teachers make an impact on students’ lives every day. During my education career, there have been many teachers who have made an impact on me and helped me get to where I am now. I do not think that inspiring teachers should be underpaid. They make a huge impact on each and every one of their students and they need to be acknowledged for it.
4. Education should be valued:
Education should be very important in our country. By underpaying teachers, we as a country are not placing education as a high priority. Teachers are the foundation of our education system. If we did not have good teachers to teach our children, then our education system would be in crumbles. Our students would not know how to read, write, or do math problems. We would be a society where we would not know how to do anything. Our teachers should be valued, and so should our education system
5. We will have no teachers: Many people know that teachers are underpaid. No one wants to have a job that underpays and undervalues them. Many teachers are leaving, and pursuing other careers because of being underpaid. Many people are also not pursuing a career in teaching because they do not want to be underpaid for the work they are doing. If we do not have people who are pursing careers in teaching, then eventually we will not have enough teachers to educate our students. Teachers are an important part of our society. If we underpay them we are not valuing them for how important they really are. They teach our students, inspire our students, and look after our students. We as a country need to put our priority in education. To do this, we need to start by paying our teachers more and giving them credit for all that they do.